The GAEC de la Route Verte wished to stop corn silage : to much treatment, a productivity not always satisfactory and a food protein complementation more and more expansive. Several ways are tested to allow more animals in the herd and to maintain forage autonomy without corn.
The overseeding on permanent grassland to have a better flora doesn’t work : too much competition of the grassland and the seed cost is very expansive, report to the low chances of success.
To substitute corn silage, breeders have tested the cereal proteinaceous silage mix (CPSM) : wheat, pea, vetch, wildflower. With very goods results for the moment. La food value of CPSM is high in protein. Since 2017, there is cellular grazing too. Finally, food complementation for cows is now based on energy, not protein : that is cheaper.
Reason for the innovation
- Stopping corn silage
- Forage autonomy
- Development of a nursing and fattening herd
- Soils: Sandy loam
- Climate: Semi continental-mountain
- Altitude: 400m
- Grazing: Yes, cellular grazing since 2017
- Grazing 7 months a year
- Annual Work Unit: 3
- Agricultural area: 150 ha UAA
- Temporary grassland: 66 ha
- Permanent grassland: 60 ha
- CPSM: 20 ha ; 10 tDM/ha
- Breeds : Prim’holstein and Blonde d’Aquitaine
- Stocking rate : 1,31 UGB / ha of forage area
- Milk production per head: 7 500 L /year
Why it is working
Will to stop corn silage and to have more animals on the farm ant to stay autonomous in forage
A lot of information take on the web.