Pol Tonglet is constantly improving his grazing management system. Currently he practices:
- Rotational and continuous stocking
- Overseeding technique on grassland with Güttler precision equipment
- Grazing followed by low cut.
Pol has a milking robot.
Farmer’s strategy is focusing on higher production and permanent curiosity.
For Pol Tonglet, the climate remains a constraint on the productivity of his grassland and the non-use of pesticides products a challenge.
- Soil types : Clayey-loam, Clay, Limestone
- Temperate oceanic climate
- Altitude : 200 m
- Slope : 0-5%
Grasslands, mostly permanent, are both grazed and mowed down (4 times a year). The duration of permanent meadows is longer than 20 years. Grazing management type: rotational and continuous stocking. Forage is stored according 3 types: silage, haylage and hay.
- Annual Work Unit: 3
- Agricultural Area : 105 ha UAA
- The farm is managed by the owner and his wife (rural tourism)
- 63 ha are dedicated to crops and the rest in permanent (35 ha) and temporary (7 ha) grasslands
- The dairy cattle is Pie Noire Holstein : 75 lactating cows
- The beef cattle is Blue-white Belgian breed (BBB) : 170 heads
- The milk production is average: 8,500 kg of milk / cow / year
Why it is working
Pol Tonglet set up a performing grassland management based on a long practical experience developed in particular with his brother