Large perennial grass, smooth, forming large clumps and sometimes emitting short rhizomes. Stems are strong and coated are rich in basal leaves. Leaves are long and broad, flat, acuminate and strongly ribbed. Vernation is rolled, auricles being adorned with short hair. The inflorescence is a long panicle (20 – 40 cm), loose and bent. Grains are protected in lemma and sometimes have short bristles, TKW 2.3 to 2.7 g. This is a crosspollinating species, hexaploid (2n=42).
|In %||Water||Nitrogen||Fat||Soluble carbohydrates||Fibrous carbohydrates||Ashes|
|In rows||– cm||– cm||– kg/ha|
|In q/ha||In green||In hay||In grain|
- Early start at the end of winter
- Good forage production
- Good summer and autumn growth
- Resistance to cold and heath
- Resistance to excess water
- Strong durability
- Slow and difficult rooting
- Low palatability, especially for types with rigid and erect leaves. This aspect was the result of intense selection.